When I started this blog, it was to keep myself motivated and hold myself accountable by posting, being able to go back and read my entries and to have my family and friends hopefully support me during this challenge I have given myself. I find though that I am actually inspiring those friends and family members, keeping them motivated as well and I have to tell you Wow, I am humbled to be able to do that for YOU!!!
Facebook is such an amazing thing and has gotten me back in touch with many friends from middle school and high school that I had lost touch with....you know I'm (gasp) closer to 40 now than 30 and email, the world wide web and cell phones were not readily available and as many people, the lost art of writing a letter and picking up the phone to call someone to catch up with fell to the way side. But FB has brought us all back together, so much easier than Classmates or even MySpace did - and it's pretty darn easy to use too! But getting back in touch with these old class mates reminds me of the days when I could eat what I wanted and not worry about my figure, I took it for granted that it would always be there...fast forward 20 years (another gasp!) and it's not so easy anymore...I have to watch what I eat, I have to go to the gym and I have to blog about it! Which brings me back to my initial thought - I am humbled to know that I now am inspirational and motivational to my friends, old and new, my family and my network of social pals! I truly am blessed to be able to do this competition and have all this support...but it motivates me even more to know that so many out there are starting their exercise routines and dedicating themselves to start living healthier now too! Here are just a few of the words I have received thus far:
"So I just wanted to tell you that you have inspired me. I joined Bally Fitness today and signed up with a personal trainer. .....I am hoping that I will not be so intimidated by the gym anymore." Regina
and that's really it isn't it...we're all a little intimidated by the gym!
"ok, so you are officially assigned as my new motivation person!" Arleta
"I have been following your blog. Believe it or not, you have been an inspiration for me. I gained huge weight with the twins and just now am vowing to lose it. Reading your journey helps me stay motivated. Good luck and talk to you soon" Shannon
"I am really proud of you...you are an inspiration to me ;) There are a lot of times when I am pounding out some cardio and I think to myself that if you can do this...I can too! (Obviously not the figure competition, lol!! I have lost 50 lbs since the delivery though...20 of that was at the gym ;) )" Jessyca
"I have lost back down to 165!!! .....I had ballooned up to 210.....Later skinny lady!" Jennifer
I had Bunco this past weekend and for those of you who know me well, know that I LOVE BUNCO!!! I have been trying to figure out how am I going to keep up my will power while I'm sitting with all these great women who are drinking and eating....I may just have to quit for a while if I find I can't stay strong (and that would be tough! did I mention that I L.O.V.E. Love Bunco?!) I was so excited though on Saturday when I had many of my gal pals come up to me and tell me how great I was looking and that they couldn't believe the difference in my face/legs etc. I felt so good...maybe this will work - I was even more excited when I started to see the dishes coming in (as it's a potluck with the hostess supplying the beverages) There was Salad, Sushi, Low fat tortilla rolls, fat free this and low calorie that....really?! Everyone was amazing! There were still the few desserts and higher calorie dishes there but finally there were so many other options for me to choose from...I had brought taco bites (egg whites, ground turkey, kidney beans made into mini muffins to be a crust less quiche) to eat thinking it would be my only option...but I was able to have what everyone else was having...and my water of course but missing the alcohol is not my biggest challenge so that was OK!
So, when I started all this a few months ago and decided that yes, I was going to take the next step and do this competition I really didn't think that I would become someone that other people would look at for support, motivation, inspiration or guidance....I really was looking to hold myself accountable but now I challenge you all to go out there and do it as well! Continue to follow my blog, tell your friends about it and bring out that skinny person I know you can be! Here are my top ten suggestions
1. First and foremost...take a picture of yourself in your underwear (YIKES - I know!!) but this is what will keep you motivated...especially when you tape it up to the bathroom mirror it will remind you what your goals are and possibly make you think before you take a bite of that thing that may not be so healthy for you.
2. Keep a food journal - jot down EVERYTHING you eat....even that handful of M&M's, 2 almonds, 3 sodas etc. Anything that goes in your mouth goes into that journal - see what you feeding yourself then change it!
3. Eat small meals throughout the day - I know we always here that we should do it - but really, it does help! I am proof! I eat every 3-4 hours and
4. Never ever skip a meal! it will harm you rather than help you!
5. Protein!! Did you hear me? Protein? Take in 1g of protein per day for the amount of pounds you weigh...e.g. if you weigh 165 pounds then you should be taking in 165 grams of protein. (this is the weight I started at - uugghh! but I vow to never ever see again) Make sure though that you are getting the GOOD protein - Chicken, Fish, Turkey Breast, Egg whites - and Whey Isolate Protein these shakes are great for some of your "snacks" and with so many different flavors out there you are sure to find one that you will like.
6. Exercise! Yes, you will have to exercise....find something you enjoy for cardio - Zumba, Kick boxing, Spin....there are so many different dvd's out now you can have a variety! And throw in some weight training....it will help to kick up your metabolism and will help to sculpt your muscles back into shape
7. WATER! you can not get enough of this....even if you think you are drinking plenty now, You probably are not. Get in at least 6 Liters (that is the equivalent of 12 standard water bottles!)
8. Vitamins - you should be taking in the very minimum a daily multi vitamin....but adding a little extra vit. C, a b complex and a very good Fish oil would be beneficial as well.
9. Invest in some cute workout clothes....I mean who really is motivated to work out when you have on nasty sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt! AND keep your gym bag packed at all times, have it with you in the car, in your drawer at work Don't give yourself an excuse not to work out, if you have the gear with you you are ready to do the workout!
10. Music - make a special play list just for your workout....
Bonus 11 - go and buy yourself an incredibly sexy outfit, cut off the tags and throw away the receipt - hang it where you can see it everyday (I had mine hanging at my bedroom door - yes, I would look at my before picture in the bathroom then the sexy ball gown dress by my bedroom door to keep me honest - now I have a picture of my desired stage suit) Just another thing to keep you on track!
In conclusion - THANK YOU....all of you for allowing me to be inspirational to you, and thank you for keeping me accountable to my goal!
Today's Quote of the post:
“Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
~Eddie (Edward Vernon) Rickenbacker
I guess I am being very courageous taking on this challenge to do the competition...it terrifies me to no end to think that I am going to get on stage in almost nothing that is going to cost more than what I would normally pay for three complete outfits that would cover me head to toe ;). To push myself further than I have ever gone before and to continue to strive each day in my workouts to do more than I did the day before.
Be courageous yourself...I know you can do it and I will be your cheerleader!!