Sunday, March 6, 2011

Quick fixes? Nope - just good 'ol persistance

So it's been said time and time again in different languages all across the world....Good food and exercise is the secret to success - no matter where you read what words they express it in it is always the same...if you eat right and get the exercise your body needs you will be healthy, happy and fit.  Yet, we always like to shift the blame - move it to something else, why I'm fat, why I can't lose weight, why I can't get to the gym - there will always be an excuse not to go, not to eat what you should and where does that leave you?  Unhappy, fat and well you get the idea.

A friend of mine posted this on her FB status a few days ago and I got a laugh at it - I'm sure you will too:

'I figured out why I'm fat! The shampoo I use in the shower that runs down my body says "for extra volume and body". I'm going to start using "Dawn" dish soap. It says "dissolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove".'

Ahhh...if it was really that easy! 

I read through my new obsession of fitness magazines, always looking now for new exercises that I can do after my training, new recipes that I can eat that is not on this strict diet I'm on but still something that will be beneficial to my health and my families well being.  There are always those "fast diets' the Detox Diet" call it what you may - do you know what those cleanses do?  they take away all your water weight - leaving you looking skinnier but it doesn't last!  You get that great feeling of wow, I can fit into these pants, that dress, that whatever it is you were trying to get into but then the next day you go to put those jeans back on and you are once again wiggling your hips into them, dancing around and jumping up and down to get them to go up your thighs...then you have to lie down to button and zip them up...you stand back up to see the wonderful muffin top and then suck in so it's not so obvious.  But then you have decide to wear them and be miserable all day hoping they will 'stretch' all while you are taking small shallow breaths as you are afraid to let go of the belly and have the button pop off or the zipper fall down.

Why do we do this to ourselves?  Play the Yo-Yo game with not only our weight but our health, physically, mentally and emotionally.  I've finally decided that I am done with it; I have taken my health into my own hands and decided to do something, gave myself a challenge that is beyond anything that I had ever imagined myself ever doing and you know what?  I FEEL GREAT!!! 

Is it hard work?!

YES!  It is definitely hard work!

Am I tired?

YES!  I am exhausted much of the time!

Does it cut into what you would normally do?

Sometimes, it does - but I am still a Mom, Wife and Doula who many people rely on - you have to adjust your time and figure out what you can and can't do.  For those of you who know me well, you know that I am constantly on the go - it's what I thrive for.  Even right now during this intense training, I am still team mom for Dallas' first soccer year, I am still volunteering in the boys classrooms, I am still taking on clients for my business and I am still cleaning the house, making dinner, and Leading Jonathan's Den for cub scouts.  BUT, I am doing this competition for ME!  I enjoy my time in the gym, it's my time!  I can decide what I want to do with it, what I want to think about (if anything) and I have stopped feeling guilty about doing this.

What are you eating?

I am eating so much food!  REALLY!  I am eating more food now then I ever have in my life and I am burning through it like crazy....I met some friends for lunch last week and after I finished eating, I excused myself to go to the ladies room (I had drank 4 glasses of water just in that hour) I got back and one of that ladies asked me "did you just go puke?"  SERIOUSLY?!  No, that food most likely has already been burned through my system and I was actually anticipating the next 90 mines to fly by so that I could eat again! 

YES, I eat every two - three hours without fail!  WHY?

Your body is actually working it's way through the food you put in your body, it's been tested and tried and I now know that it is true!  If you don't eat on a regular schedule often (every 2-3 hours) You will retain the bad - your body will hold onto all that bad stuff, building that fat up because it won;t know when it is going to get more fuel...once you get your body knowing that it will receive a full tank again in just a few short hours it will do what it is supposed to do and burn those calories rather than store them.  If you don't believe me talk to a nutritionist....I have no doubt they will tell you something very similar!

SO HERE IT IS....THE KEY TO SUCCESS -

Eat right & Exercise!!  That is all there is to it! 

Once again it's baby steps - try changing just one day a week and eat CLEAN that entire day - then increase it to where you are eating clean 5 days a week and having some cheats on the weekend.  Make your cheats healthy ones - play mind tricks with yourself....my newest favorite snack?  Cottage cheese blended with Sugar Free Fat Free pudding (any flavor) add a little bit of stevia or splenda to take away the bitterness if any - Freeze into Popsicles!  YUMMY!!!  Super healthy and yet it's a Popsicle!!!  Mind trick!  Eat out less and cook at home more (know what is going into your food!) Try and hit the gym three times a week and WALK when you can rather than getting into the car to drive.  These little things will help to get you on track to stay trim, and healthy for good! Dump the YO-YO and make a life change!  You will thank yourself for it in the long run...I know I do!  And if you slip up?  Don't let it keep you from reaching your goal!  Instead of degrading yourself, go out for a brisk walk or run - burn some of those excess calories you just took in - and be sure the next meal is better.  (just another mind trick- your brain will feel better after you do both of those and get you back on track super fast!)


Reading in Fitness Magazines Q &A this month the question was (and I know this will pertain to many of us)

Q - "My husband and I always celebrate with food - birthday's, a promotion, finishing a race, EVERYTHING.  HELP!"

A - Judith Beck, PhD and author The Beck Diet Solution: Train your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person "It's fine to use food as a reward in moderation, but watch how often you do this and how much you eat"  If it is getting in the way of your goals, establish a new reward system.  Sit down and make a list of ways to mark the big occasions: Go to a movie, take a day off from work, hear a concert, get a couples massage or sign up for a dance class.  Refer to the list when you're at a loss for an activity that doesn't revolve around food. 

Small changes - Baby steps...you can do it!!  Will it be hard? DAMN RIGHT IT WILL BE!  BUT!!  and this is a HUGE BUT!  You will feel better for it, you will have more energy, you will be living the life you have always been jealous of others for and now you will have people jealous of you!  Oh I almost forgot - Friday's weigh in and pinch.....Down another % in my Body fat!  WOO HOO!!  20% only 7 more to go for the day of show which is 90 days away!

Today's Quote of the Post:
"I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing."
-Marsha Doble

Do what you have to to make your life change now!  What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment